naked coconuts launches in Vancouver with five new products
Like so many of us smart foodies, 26-year old Paul Gill was fed up of not being able to trust food companies and their products at face value.
Motivated to be a different example, he launched naked coconuts in February. The company produces organic coconut oil, coconut aminos, coconut nectar, coconut fiber and baby coconut oil.
When I interviewed Paul last week about his new venture, it was clear that transparency is integral to his values.
All five products are made with the highest quality of organic coconut sustainably sourced from the Phillippines. They are completely natural except for the coconut fiber, which contains less than 1% of sodium metabisulphite.
“I’d rather be honest about everything and lose a potential customer than hide information and make a sale,” says the sincere coconut man about his decision to list the preservative even though it is not legally required.
The product jars are BPA free and the packaging is sourced locally as much as possible.
Coconut oil in particular is the rave. Here’s why:
- Contains a saturated fat called lauric acid that is good for the heart and cholesterol
- Strengthens immunity. Research claims that coconut oil can protect against alzheimer’s disease, kidney stones and certain cancers
- Helps improve the digestive system and enhances absorption of nutrients
- Increases metabolism and aids in weight loss
- Excellent for hair care and skin care; works wonders in treating sunburns, acne and other skin ailments.
Source: The Benefits of Coconut Oil
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
naked’s coconut oil is special for two reasons
1. Freshly harvested: naked’s coconuts are cold pressed quickly after harvesting to preserve all the nutrients while other companies use coconuts that have been sitting in warehouses for months.
2. Virgin: naked’s coconut oil is as is – unrefined, unprocessed and with all its health properties intact. Some companies extract their oil using high heat, chemicals and bleach to make it odorless and colourless.
My jar of naked coconut oil has a fresh coconut smell and tastes just like it too. I highly recommend using it to make Chef Andrea Potter’s vegan pumpkin pie.
What about naked’s other products?
Raw, organic coconut nectar: low on the glycemic index, coconut nectar is an increasingly popular alternative sweetener.
Raw, organic coconut aminos sauce: a healthful soy sauce substitute. It is gluten free, loaded with protein and rich in flavour with about a 1/3 of the sodium in soy sauce. Coconut aminos is made from coconut sap and mixed with natural sea salt from the Philippines.
Coconut fiber: the first of its kind in North America. It is healthier than regular dietary fiber and adds a lovely coco-nutty flavour to smoothies, beverages, soups and baked goods.
Organic coconut baby oil: fragrance free and infused with pure lavender essential oil, this baby oil is superior to many brands. Massage your baby with coconut oil to promote better digestion and get them to sleep better at night.
I want to know where can I buy organic coconut baby oil
Hi Gladys, are you located in Vancouver? I have not seen organic coconut baby oil, but chances are you’ll find it at Whole Foods Markets or Choices. Hope this helps.